All students who are enrolled in a full-time Further Education course may apply for a means tested SUSI grant. Apply on line to SUSI through www.SUSI.ie as soon as possible.
VTOS is the Vocational Training Opportunities Scheme, which allows students to retain their Social Welfare Payment while attending a Further Education college. There are no course charges for VTOS students, all courses qualify for VTOS places.
How do I apply for VTOS?
- The college has a limited number of VTOS places so it is important to apply early.
- Applications for the VTOS scheme open in early February each year (or after our first round of interviews).
- In order to apply, you must first have paid the €40 course acceptance fee. · You can then Email firstname.lastname@example.org to ask for a VTOS Application Pack to be sent out to you in the post.
- All details about the VTOS scheme and how to apply are included in the VTOS Application Pack.
- Videos about the VTOS scheme are available on the Sallynoggin College YouTube channel. VTOS Videos (located in the VTOS Playlist) include information about eligibility; how to complete the Application Forms; answers to frequently asked questions about the scheme.
Am I eligible for VTOS?
You can apply for VTOS if you are aged 21 years or over at the start of the course and
- Getting one of the following payments for at least 6 months (156 days) immediately before the course start date: Job Seekers Benefit or Job Seekers Allowance, Job Seekers Transition, One-Parent Family Payment, Disability Benefit or Disability Allowance, Illness Benefit or Invalidity Pension, Deserted Wife’s Benefit or Allowance, Widow’s/Widower’s/Surviving Civil Partner’s Contributory or Non-Contributory Pension, Prisoner’s Wife’s Allowance, Blind Person’s Pension, Certain Training Scheme Allowances (check with social welfare)
- Signing for credits for at least 6 months (156 days) immediately before the course start date
- Are a registered Dependent Spouse/Partner of a person eligible to participate in VTOS for at least 6 months before the course start date
- Have been made redundant and have received a statutory redundancy payment.
- The Pandemic Unemployment Payment (PUP) is currently a qualifying payment and the 6 months qualifying period does not apply to this payment. Please enquire about specific criteria
What will VTOS cost me?
Courses are provided free of charge.
- VTOS students are paid the same amount on VTOS as they currently receive on their social welfare payment. VTOS students retain all additional benefits that they currently have when they join VTOS.
- You will receive essential books and materials on loan and free of charge.
- You will receive a weekly meal allowance and if you travel a distance of over 4.82 kilometres to the college you will receive a weekly travel allowance.
- You are eligible for childcare support under the National Childcare Scheme.
Back to Education Allowance (BTEA)
This allowance provides financial support for students who have been offered a place on a full-time FE course and are in receipt of certain Social Welfare payments for a designated period of time. This Scheme allows students to retain their payments and any secondary benefits while in full-time education. For further information and application form, contact your local Intreo Office, or visit www.welfare.ie
Students must contact their local Intreo office prior to commencement of course.
Back to Education Initiative (BTEI)
This scheme covers all course charges and allows learners to study part time. To qualify for free tuition, applicants must be eligible.
BTEI courses are free to: EU/EAA Citizens, Refugees, Asylum Seekers or Persons with Leave to Remain in Ireland e.g. Holders of Stamp 4 GNIB Card
Applicants must also meet at least one of the following eligibility criteria:
- Registered job seeker with DSP, receiving either a jobseeker’s payment or signing on for credits or in receipt of the Pandemic Unemployment Payment (PUP)
- Recipient of other mean-tested DSP payments
- Adult dependent of DSP (jobseekers or means-tested) payment recipient
- Medical card holder
- Adult with less than Full Leaving Cert level education or equivalent.
If you are in part time employment and meet at least one of the above eligibility criteria, you are eligble for the course. Evidence of eligibility for free tuition will be required. Where an applicant is not eligible for free tuition, fees will be charged.