All QQI Level 5 awards enable learners to progress to the first year of higher education courses in Universities and Institutes of Technology. The Higher Education Links Scheme links a number of QQI Level 5 and Level 6 awards to third level courses in participating institutions. Application is made to CAO in the usual way, and QQI results are used as the basis for calculating points. A QQI Level 5 Certificate may achieve up to a maximum of 400 points.
Important Points to Note
- Application is through CAO, advice and support is available to learners who request it.
- Applicants must obtain a major (full) QQI award to progress to higher education.
- Some courses require applicants to have achieved specific modules or awards.
- Some courses require that the QQI award is achieved in a single sitting, i.e. in one academic year.
- Some courses require distinctions in specific modules, or a number of overall distinctions.
Third level progression opportunities for QQI learners are continually being developed and enhanced, and opportunities will vary from year to year. Please visit www.cao.ie and the websites of relevant Higher Education Institutions for specific requirements. Some SCFE courses have also established specific progression routes to Universities and Colleges in the UK; see individual course pages for details.