QQI Level 5 Certificate in Photography 5M2094
Duration: One Year Full-Time
This Photography Course offers learners the opportunity to become familiar with photographic printing and processing techniques. Learners will also develop the necessary skills to prepare a quality portfolio for entry to third-level colleges or directly into employment.
“The course in SCFE gave me a solid grounding in photography, as well as picture editing, book design and display exhibitions. It also instilled in me a skill set and wonderful work ethic, all of which I apply on a daily basis to my work as a professional photographer.”
Richard Gilligan. Based in New York (The New York Times Magazine).
Learners who successfully complete a QQI Level 5 Certificate may be able to use their results to progress to related Level 7 and Level 8 Degree Programmes in Irish Universities and Institutes of Technology. Third level progression opportunities for QQI learners are continually being developed and enhanced. Please visit www.qqi.ie or www.cao.ie for the most up to date information
Former learners have progressed to degree programmes in Photography and Photographic Media, in DIT, IADT Dún Laoghaire, University of Ulster, University of Wales and University for the Creative Arts, Farnham (UK).
- Use of Cameras & Equipment (digital & analogue)
- Film Processing
- Black & White Printing (Dark Room)
- Digital Scanning of Film
- Studio Light & Management
- History & Theory of Photography
- Video Editing
- Work Experience
- Learners are continuously assessed through project-based assignments
- Classes in digital image manipulation (Photoshop, Lightroom and Camera raw)
- Video editing (Adobe Premiere)
- Visits to galleries
- Full Professional Portrait Studio
- Still Life advertising
- Visiting speakers on a variety of photographic themes and topics, including specialist photography, book-binding, curating and mounting exhibitions
- This course offers the best of both analogue and digital photography
- Access to fully equipped IT suites and Library.
Career and Progression Opportunities
Direct employment into the photography industry
Progression to further study at third level in Ireland and the UK
Leaving Certificate or equivalent
LCA or relevant experience
Interview – applicants should bring a selection of their best work to include recent photos, in both black & white and colour, in hard copy or digital format
Mature applicants welcome
Applicants may be accepted without meeting formal entry requirements.