Financial Matters in SCFE
Financial support for learners in Sallynoggin College
Learners may avail of a variety of financial supports while studying at SCFE. These include:
• PLC Maintenance Grant (SUSI)
• Vocational Training Opportunities Scheme (VTOS)
• Back to Education Allowance (BTEA)
• Exemptions for Medical Card Holders
• PLC Government Levy Exemption
• Childcare Support
PLC Maintenance Grant (SUSI)
All learners who are enrolled in a full-time Further Education course may apply for a means tested PLC maintenance grant. Applications (online only) should be made to SUSI through www.studentfinance.ie, and all decisions on eligibility are made by them.
VTOS is the Vocational Training Opportunities Scheme, which offers second chance education and training for adults. While in College, VTOS learners retain their social welfare payments and any secondary benefits they already have. Course charges are covered under this scheme, and essential books and course materials are provided free of charge. An allowance for lunch and travel may be payable in some cases.
Who is Eligible for VTOS?
A person may be eligible if they are:
• Over 21 years
• At least 6 months on the live register
• In receipt of, or the spouse of someone who is in receipt of a Social Welfare Benefit or Allowance for at least 6 months.
Back to Education Allowance (BTEA)
The BTEA provides financial support for learners who have been offered a place on a full-time FE course, and who have been in receipt of a Social Welfare payment for a designated period of time. This scheme allows learners to retain their welfare payments and any secondary benefits while in full-time education. Further information and application forms are available from the local office of the Department of Social Protection, or from www.welfare.ie
Exemptions for Medical Card Holders
Holders of a current medical card are exempt from the Government PLC levy and QQI/FETAC examination fees. It is the learner’s responsibility to present their current medical card at registration.
PLC Government Levy Exemptions
The following categories of learner are exempt from paying the PLC levy:
• Full medical card holders in their own right and their dependent children
• Those who are in receipt of a PLC student grant
• Those who are in receipt of the Back to Education Allowance (BTEA) or the Vocational Training Opportunities Scheme (VTOS) allowances.
To obtain the above exemption, documentary evidence of entitlement must be supplied to the College. This exemption applies to the €200.00 PLC Government Levy only.
Funding for childcare costs may be available to eligible VTOS and BTEA learners under the CETS Scheme. For further information, contact any local County Childcare Committee or local Education and Training Board (ETB). For further information on funding for learners on Further Education/PLC courses, see www.studentfinance.ie